21 May 2008

hit me with your best shot

so i almost got hit by a car yesterday.. on a not oft-used road in the parking lot of a shopping center.. as i was in a crosswalk..yeah..

ambling, minding my own bidness (good thing i was paying attention), a car comes toward me without slowing down. literally, with one more step, i would have been clipped. i've been run over by a car before, so you may think it was my fault, but no way, man. (oh no, flashback!) maybe five years ago, i was hanging out with some people and my ex. we were imbibing a bit, and for some reason after ev'ryone was gone, we began to argue. this was not an infrequent occurrence, as she had a penchant for picking ridiculous, pointless fights (i have no recollection of the content of this one). while flying off the handle, she ran out to her car and started it.

against what i felt like doing at the moment, i followed her and stood at the passenger door, talking her down, whatever. unbeknownst to me, she had put the car into reverse and set her foot on the brake. well, at one point she decided to take her foot from the brake of the idling car (don't really know if she planned to drive or if she was going to get out of the car). i was knocked over by the open door of her jeep and hit the ground in a millisecond, at which point the front right tire ran over my right foot/ankle, slowly, so it twisted my foot against the driveway, thus tearing the ligaments in the top of my foot and in my arch. um..ouch. i had previously torn ev'rything in that ankle and broken it as well years ago. didn't walk right for over a year.

x-rays showed no breakage (good). her dad, a doctor, wrote me a nice prescription for some percocet (better). now i'm with someone that doesn't own a car and probably wouldn't run over me with her bike (best).

so this car in this shopping center crosswalk? as it approached me (i did expect it to stop or at least slow down. lesson: don't trust people; they're stupid), i quickly reacted by sticking my foot out to distance myself from the car by more than a couple inches. i suppose with the combination of my surprise and disgust my decidedly heavy right foot left a sizable dent in his driver's side back door. i stood there, in the middle of that crosswalk, dumbfounded, that someone would nearly hit me, receive damage to his car, and simply continue to drive away. did he even notice? or did he realize that he was obviously in the wrong and not want to deal with any potential consequences? yeah, that's probably it. but at least he will be somewhat inconvenienced; i left the situation feeling just fine. karma, man. i don't believe in it, but karma, man.

lenny: nothing like revenge for getting back at people.
carl: vengeance isn't too bad, either.

lates,
moi

1 comment:

Mollotov said...

If I did run over you with my bike, those skinny little tires would leave some nasty marks. But don't worry - I'm not that kind of girl.

I'm glad you didn't get hit with another car. You are right: don't trust people because they are stupid.